The history of the Medical faculty has been origin since 1804, when it was founded as a basis for the development of medical sciences at the Imperial Kharkiv University. From 1920 to 1992, the Department of the Medical sciences was reorganized into the Medical, Treatment and prophylactic and Treatment faculties. As an independent part of Medical University, the II Medical Faculty was established in 1994.
The first Dean of the Faculty was the Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor of the Department of Operative Surgery and Topographic Anatomy Mikhalin Mikhailo Oleksiyovich till April 2004.
From 14 October 2004 till the 9th of November 2005 the Head of the Department of Neurology №1, Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor, Honored worker of Science and Technology of Ukraine Grigorova Irina Anatoliyivna was the Dean of the Faculty.
From 10 November 2005 till spring 2009 the Dean of the II Medical Faculty was the Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor, Head of the Department of Hygiene and Ecology №2 Zavgorodniy Igor Volodymyrovych.
From spring 2009 the Head of the Department of Forensic medicine, Medical Law, Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor Olkhovsky Vasil Oleksiyovich was the Dean of the II Medical Faculty. From 2014 to 2021 the ІІ Medical Faculty was headed by Professor of the Department of Psychiatry, Narcology, Medical Psychology and Social Work, Doctor of Medical Sciences, Khaustov Maksim Mikolajovich.